The LORD said to Abram: Go forth from your land, your relatives and from your father’s house to a land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great so that you will be a blessing.
This week we’ll be reflecting on episodes in the life of the patriarch Abraham and his marriage to Sarah. The entire story is found in Genesis 12-24, but we’re going to pull out several key passages and events for your meditation. It seems the theme of Abraham’s life was that friendship with God is not easy, there are lots of twists and turns, but God is faithful and will never leave you alone. Let’s look at Abraham’s example as our father in faith and learn from his life.
Download the PDF for your daily reflections and weekend family activities! For your convenience, we’ve posted the family activities below as well.
Weekend: Grow Your Family Culture!
- Tell your children the story of their birth. They will LOVE the details (not the gorey or intimate ones, mind you. Skip those!) Were there any special or interesting circumstances surrounding their conception/pregnancy/birth?
- Tell the story of how you and your spouse met. If you know it, tell them the story of how their grandparents met and where they raised their family.
- Brainstorm a list of 20-25 things that your family has experienced together. The list could include people you all know, places you have been, movies you have enjoyed or experiences you have had together. Put these things on cards and use them to play Charades.
- Pull out picture albums (or old Facebook posts!) and go down memory lane with your kids.
- Go stargazing with your children and incite wonder at God’s creative genius. Pro Tip: If you have a smartphone there are many good stargazing apps that will help you easily find constellations.
- Make a pilgrimage to a shrine or church in your area with your family. Offer a special intention for your journey that you all discuss together.
- Practice “obedience” by playing Simon Says (or Father Says) with your kids. This is a fun way to have kids practice immediate obedience and listening!
- Here are some fun coloring pages covering the story of Abraham and his family ….. Because who doesn’t love COLORING PAGES!
Messy Family Podcast Resource for the Week:
Make sure you are signed up for the Cana90 emails to make sure you get these weekly emails and resources. Sign up at Cana90 Subscribe page.